Sunday, January 24, 2010

I think God knows what He's doing....

I know my mother has been spreading the word about what direction I've decided to pursue after I finish my term here, but I figured that y'all would like to hear it from me as well. About two weeks ago, the earthquake hit Haiti as all of us not living under rocks know. At first, to be honest, I didn't pay much attention to all of the news articles written about it but then two days after it happened, one article caught my eye. It's amazing to me how God can take even one small, insignificant news article and remind me of His plans for my life. The article I read was about how the logistics for the relief for the Haitians was bogged down, and as a result, the victims were suffering even more from lack of basic things, like clean water and food. While reading that short article, it was like a smack to the back of my head that reminded me of things that I had forgotten a long time ago. When I was in high school, one of my mentors showed me a degree that she told me I would excel in; called Emergency Management, the study of the logistics of responding to national and global emergencies. Seeing as how I was in high school, I didn't really pay much attention to her advice at the time (even though I took her advice later, and joined the Journeyman program of the IMB). Now, a decade later, God, through this article, reminded me of that conversation like it happened yesterday, and everything seemed to click together, like only He can do. Talking with a really close friend and my family has only strengthened the feeling that I'm getting that this is what He wants me to do to bring Him glory in my life. I'm good at stuff like that (and enjoy it thoroughly), but only because God put it in me to be good at it for His glory. After talking about it with my friend, I realized that God even took it one step further... I've been thinking, brainstorming, planning, whatever you want to call it, about starting my own NGO that would respond to global disasters, and help the victims get the relief they needed the quickest possible way. And God has put very large plans in my head for this, as in a NGO with offices all over the globe to respond even quicker. So I've been looking at the University of South Florida's Masters of Public Health in Global Disaster Management & Humanitarian Relief (imagine how I would introduce myself with that title... haha) to do when I get back so I can start down the path God has put in front of me. So I ask for all of y'all's prayers in this. But at the same time, I ask for prayer that I can remain focused on my job here, and see it through to the end done well, and not looking at it as a hinderance to my 'life' afterwards. Thank you.
A little update as well as to what is going on down here in Peru because I know that not everyone has ways of finding this stuff out... Right now I am in Lima, the capital of Peru, but am heading to Ecuador today by bus (25 hours.... yipee.... and then another 12 hours.... woohoo...) to get everything ready for a training there. We have at least 10 confirmed trainees; they all know that it is 3 months long this time, and we have a really good feeling about it. Please pray for the trainees, and for the teachers as well during the next 3 months: that everyone can stay focused and seek God in all things. I will try to let y'all know how training went once it's over. Thank you very much for your prayers, and support.

3 comments:

Karen Johnson said...

Hey now, I haven't been spreading the word as much as you think!!! :) We are so excited to see where this lands you, and how God is going to use you, and possibly us on this awesome path! We love you and are proud of you!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I will continue to pray for you and the upcoming training. I think this is an awesome thing the Lord has laid upon your heart. I will pray in advance for your patience with red tape... :)