Sunday, October 26, 2008

Unforseeable Happening

This is way sooner I was expecting to write a blog to all of you. I´ll start at the beginning and work my way up to this point in time; how does that sound? :)
We left Monday morning as planned in a taxi for Pocoata. It was on that ride that for some reason my muscle started acting up and was bothering me (for those that don´t know, I tore my pelvic muscle during training in February and returned to the States to get it diagnosed and rehabbed). I didn´t think too much of it then as I was looking forward to our five week trip into the communities. But by the time Wednesday rolled around, it was hurting me just to walk with my backpack. We found a small village called Turwiriya to stay in until my muscle got better (like it usually does) but by Friday it was still hurting just as much as Wednesday. By this time I was worried about re-tearing it and being out of action for the months it would take to heal all over again. Our boss, Trent, told us to return to Sucre so I could start strengthening it again before it tore out there in the communities. So here I am…
Even though this was my shortest trip thus far, I believe I learned the most during/from it. I had some very bleak days mentally as a result of this injury, much to my partner´s, Javier, chagrin. Hehe I had even brought up the possibility of a transfer because it seemed I couldn´t do the minimal physical work required for our team. Dark times indeed… I felt so betrayed by my body breaking down on me (in the middle of a trip nonetheless) that a couple of times all I could do was cry. After quickly tiring of that, I turned to God to comfort me. And comfort me He did. I won´t go into all the details but He showed me that even though I was `broken´ in my eyes He still loved me (for all of me, brokenness included) and wanted to use me. Also as a result of having to stay in that village, we made some great Christian contacts who are ready and eager to help us with our work in the area in the future.
I guess my biggest prayer request right now is my health once again. Please pray for a speedy recovery so I can get back out there. Also pray for our team as well (Javier and me); this injury coming back to affect me changes pretty much all of the plans we had. Pray that we have patience and wisdom during the coming weeks. Please keep in your thoughts and prayers Graham and Efraín as they have had a little difficulty reaching their village with the stories. Pray that hearts will be opened and people see the glory and love of our Lord.

1 comment:

Karen Johnson said...

God is going to use you, no matter where your ministry takes you. He knows the plan for you, we just have to be patient and faithful, which I know you are! We're proud of you and continue to pray non-stop for you and your team. We love you!!!