Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Psalm 19 - Part One

Just to let y’all know, I made it to Sucre, Bolivia on the nineteenth of May. I really want to thank all of you for your support and prayers while I was trying to get into Bolivia. That was one of the most trying parts of my term so far, and all I was doing was sitting around… I most likely would have gone crazy if not for knowing that everyone back in the States was keeping me in their minds and prayers. So thank all of you again! Tomorrow we are traveling through our province to get our equipment from our other house, so please keep our travels in your prayers. And please pray for my missionary visa to all work out sooner or later.
As I was having my quiet time one morning I decided to read one of my favorite Psalms: number nineteen. When I read it, I saw three distinct parts to this Psalm. The first part reads, “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and the night reveals knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words, whose voice is not heard. Their measuring line goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them he has set a tent for the sun, which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber, and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy. Its rising is from the end of the heavens, and its circuit to the end of them, and there is nothing hidden from its heat.” It reminds me every time I read it of the glory and majesty of God’s creation in the natural world; especially the wonder of the sun. Every morning I am greeted by the rising sun coming through the windows in my room. It is such a great experience to be able to enjoy seeing the sun rise over the city of Sucre day after day. I think often of this part of Psalm nineteen whenever I see this sight.
Also, one of the most eye-opening experiences I have had related to this Psalm was on my first mission trip to Thailand in 2004. One of the days, our hosts took us to an ancient Buddhist temple located at the summit of a nearby mountain. It was a long, hot walk up those steps to the top, but once we reached it, I can definitely tell you that it was worth every drop of sweat (and the sunburn). The view from the top of the mountain was priceless and indescribable… You could see out for miles and miles and miles of forest. Below the mountain was where three countries bordered each other: Laos, Cambodia, and Thailand. These three countries have a horrendous history of wars, slave trade, and corruption, but at that moment at the top of the summit, all I could think about and cry out in my mind was how could humans look at this wonderful display of God’s power and not believe that there is a God who created everything in the universe.
Paul words it very well (of course… he’s Paul) in Romans: “For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in things that have been made. So they are without excuse.” This verse is one of mant that I get my fuel from to go and try to reach these people groups that are isolated from everything and everyone.
Every terrifying act of nature, every picturesque scene, every sunrise and sunset, every clear night sky revealing the stars practically screams out God’s sovereignty to human kind. I am reminded of His power and glory every time I am able to be part of one of these wonderful things.
The second part should be following closely behind this one.

1 comment:

wwschields said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. I know how sometimes it caan be discouraging when people read your stuff but don't let you know that they read it! Well, I do read yours! Keep up the great work, and as usual, you and your fellow brothers and sisters are in our prayers.